Home World News Girl, 4, Dies of Mumps Virus Despite Getting Vaccine
Girl, 4, Dies of Mumps Virus Despite Getting Vaccine PDF Print E-mail
(0 votes, average 0 out of 5)
Thursday, 06 August 2009 00:00

A devastated couple said their "bright, bubbly and beautiful" daughter died after being diagnosed with the mumps.

Four-year-old Lisa Pollitt, who had been given the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine, appeared to be recovering from the illness, but then took a turn for the worse.

Doctors believe she died because of a rare complication — or perhaps a separate virus while her system was weakened by the condition. Lisa was diagnosed with the condition on July 20 — but a week later she deteriorated and her parents rushed her to Wythenshawe Hospital, in Manchester, England.

"It seems so unfair when Lisa had had all her injections, that she would get mumps, but the doctors say it happens sometimes and there is a lot of mumps around at the moment," said Lisa’s mother, Patsy.

Mumps, which makes glands in the mouth and neck swell up, is estimated to kill 1 in 10,000 cases.
Terrifying

Lisa was diagnosed with the condition on July 20 - but a week later she deteriorated and Patsy and dad Danny rushed her to Wythenshawe Hospital, Manchester.

Patsy said: "She was a healthy young girl and had suffered no serious illnesses. She woke up with a swollen face and the GP said it was mumps.

"She seemed to be OK - she was eating and even had started playing again. Then a week later she was a bit groggy and couldn't get to sleep so I stayed downstairs on the sofa with her.

"Suddenly her lips went blue, she was all pale and was still breathing but a few minutes later she stopped. It all happened so quickly. It was terrifying.

"In a way it was good that I had her sleeping with me because if not we would never have known what had happened - at least we knew we had got her medical care immediately. Everyone did everything they could to save her."

Patsy paid tribute to her daughter and said: "She was so full of life, bright and bubbly and into everything. She was a real tomboy and loved playing with her brothers and our dog. We can't believe she has gone."

Post-mortem tests have failed to establish Lisa's exact cause of death and toxicology tests are now being carried out - with the results expected to take weeks.

Tragic Lisa, who had two brothers Cameron, five, and Anthony, three, was due to start primary school next month.


Source: The Sun
Author:
Link: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/...

Comments

Please login to post comments or replies.
Last Updated on Friday, 07 August 2009 16:27